Seventy degree weather on a January weekend. I was getting off the train in Center City wearing nothing but a scarf to go w/ my t-shirt and jeans to keep warm. Unusually warm weather for a January but I wasn't complaining. Before I got on the trolley going home I had to make change for laundary. My hamper at home was beginning to overflow.
The cop standing near the change machine looked at me as I kept putting all the quarters into my bag as they came out of the machine. Several dropt on the floor and I had to pick them up. I could feel his stare on me as I bent over to pick it up. As I began walking towards the building exit I could still feel him looking at me. As I past the smoothie stand I thought if I should buy one. I wanted to stop but then realized I really wasn't hungry and that I shouldn't eat one they were a summer treat. Yes it did feel like summer but it really wasn't.
As I opened the door to leave the building I began thinking how life had been like for me these last 8 months. I finally was coming out of a long dark tunnel. Things were good again. Life was happy and I was beginning to figure things out. There was a red light as I got to the corner of the street. Then there was the tap on my shoulder. I felt myself tense up and my street smarts turn on. I didn't recognize the man who's hand was still on my shoulder. Things seemed to go in slow motion suddenly.
"Have you gotten flowers yet this year?" he asked me as he handed me a stem of Orchids.
He obviously mistaken me for someone else.
"I'm sorry?"
"This are for you," he handed me the flowers. I accepted them while looking at him suspiciously.
Was this guy for real? I looked into his eyes and there didn't seem to be any malice in them. I started laughing not knowing how to react.
"Thank you, I don't know what to say. They're beautiful. Sorry I don't mean to laugh it's just that this never has happened to me," I explained trying not to offend him.
"It should happen to you more often you're beautiful," I knew where this was going.
"Thank you, I'm sorry I don't know your name," I told him
"It's Chris,"
"That's my best friends name. My name is Lupe by the way,"
"Were you going down to the station?"
"Yes I was headed home where are you headed?"
"I was on my way to catch a taxi to Center City when I saw you," he explained.
"And you had enough time to buy flowers and catch up with me?"
"I bolted so I didn't lose you out of my site," he laughed.
"You were determined," I smiled at him
"Yes I couldn't miss the opportunity. I'd like to take you to dinner sometime," we exchanged numbers and we each went on our own way.
Yeah I know it sounds like one of those romatic crappy stories I used to write in my Creative Writing classes the clencher is this isn't a work of fiction. This really happened to me today.
Never before! Trying not to let it go to my head but it's going to be hard. I got flowers from a perfect stranger today!
No comments:
Post a Comment