Thursday, June 25, 2009

A cultural thing

My mom has visitors coming in and out of the house like crazy since she's been out the hospital. Family and friends want to make sure that she's doing well so they visit. Today we had a group of 3 Hispanic women and their kids come over to visit her. Since there were so many people my mom thought it best to entertain them outside. As many of you know my mom has the most amazing garden that is tended by my 'dad'/boss.
It being such a nice day we spent a good three hours sitting around the section of the garden designated for the tables and chairs. My mom being the Hispanic hostess that she is offered to make everyone dinner. I loved when everyone started preparing the table and helping my mom make dinner. I got up to get flatware and some serving spoons for dinner. By the time that I got back everyone was sitting around the patio table talking. I knew something was being said about me because everyone was looking at me but having the mom I have I'm used to it.
I was surprised when I got to the table and everyone started giggling. Usually they're more discreet about it. Then I hear it! Your boobs and your butt are huge, Lupe! I'm paraphrasing here because I wouldn't want to repeat what they said in front of polite company. I smiled and said yeah it all got big when I got fat. I might as well be honest about it. Then I was surprised when I hear the out cries.
Everyone is telling me I'm not fat and that I'm just the right size. When around Americans I take this as social politeness. It's not considered proper to call someone fat in public or to their face. But when a Hispanic woman tells you this you need to pay attention. In the Hispanic culture the norm is to be honest and straight forward. So if they think you're fat they'll let you know. The shocker for me was when the 25 year old 5 foot 7 inch size 00 (that's right that's two zero's as in she's smaller then a zero) tells me I wish you could give me some of that I'm too skinny. I wanted to yell at her too skinny! You're what every girl dreams to be.
So I've decided maybe it's time to embrace my Hispanic roots and be ok with my size. It seems my Hispanic peers already have

No comments:

Followers

A Lazy Afternoon....
Journalist Profile

Evone a.k.a velvet-sky
28th May 1989
Gemini
Singapore
underline bold italics


Archives

→ <$BlogArchiveName$>

Links

Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank.

Tag Me

Tag board code here. :)
Approx size of 190px

Layout Information

Designed & Illustration By: velvet-sky
Textures: sanami276
Brushes: 77words


<$BlogItemTitle$>
<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>, <$BlogItemDateTime$>

<$BlogItemBody$>