Friday, November 27, 2009

In my last post I talked about my last year or so with PCOS. It ended with me promising to continue on with how things were going.My expectation was that the next blog would be up a week after the last one. Unfortunately I got a bit emotional about it after a small set back.
A day after I put up the last post I had an appointment with my endocrinologist just to get a quarterly check-up. I was feeling so great about my weight loss and what seemed to be great step forwards that I was sure things were going to go well. As I was writing up next post I got a call from her to tell me about my latest lab results.
She began the conversation by starting to say all the good things that had happened in the past. She compared my original lab results to what they were now. She told me how things were in that way significantly better. Then she threw the blow. She said that my numbers had plateaued about 6 months ago. She said that she had upped my medication in hopes that the numbers would go down but that they hadn't. She made one suggestion to make the testosterone level go down again.
To put it mildly the suggestion made me wonder if the woman even read my patient chart. She wanted to put me on my original medications and up the dosage of the original medication I was on. I have to back track for you to understand why this was NOT a good idea. When I was originally put on Metformin my stomach would grumble and make unhappy noises. I never thought anything of it. A month into the medication I got constant diarrhea. I told her about it and she told me that it was normal that I had to bear with it. I did for a few another month and was getting used to it. When she upped my Metformin dosage the first time I couldn't go to work I was constantly sick because of the medication. She changed me to Metformin extended release. The rumbling noises, the diarrhea and having to pray to make it to the bathroom each time all went away. So now she's telling me that she wanted to not just take me back to that but in a higher dosage. I reminded her of why she had put me on extended release.
This is where she as a doctor who had read my chart would have had a back up plan. She got quite for a whole minute. How do I know it was a whole minute? Because I looked at my work clock seeing the seconds tick by as the silence became longer and longer. She finally spoke and said words that I do not want to hear a professional who holds my life in her hands say, "well I don't know what to do". She then repeated this phrase three times. She said she'd call me by the end of the week with a few ideas as she further reviewed my case.
It's been a month and I still haven't gotten that call back. I'm currently looking for another endocrinologist. I've been looking up doctors online and seeing what their patients have to say about them before I commit to a new doctor. I don't want to make the mistake of having a name given to me and putting all my trust on them to hear another I don't know. My health is worth more than that. So when I find a new doctor I will post again on the progress of my PCOS.

No comments:

Followers

A Lazy Afternoon....
Journalist Profile

Evone a.k.a velvet-sky
28th May 1989
Gemini
Singapore
underline bold italics


Archives

→ <$BlogArchiveName$>

Links

Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank.

Tag Me

Tag board code here. :)
Approx size of 190px

Layout Information

Designed & Illustration By: velvet-sky
Textures: sanami276
Brushes: 77words


<$BlogItemTitle$>
<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>, <$BlogItemDateTime$>

<$BlogItemBody$>