I was raised in the South. I learned common Southern manners when I was a little girl. You always have food and drink ready when you have guests. You are kind and smile at anything that is said to your face. Thank you's are always given and you bring a gift to the person hosting you. The biggest one was your elders and those in a higher station then you are always addressed by their title. Here's an an example. My mom was a house keeper so all her employers I had to address by their title Ms. and their first name her Wednesday job was Ms Ann. When I was a child I had to talk to everyone that way title and name, no matter whom they were.
Now that I'm older and having lived amongst the Yankees for so long that habit has been lost. I call my boss by his first name unless we're in a meeting with another agency and then I'll call him by his title (Dr.) and his last name. Everyone I'm friends with or work with is called by their first name. I must admit that this lax way the Yankees hold was surprising to me when I first moved up here. Now I don't even think twice about it now.
Last night my sister in laws family arrived from North Carolina. The kids were all excited to have arrived and to be here. We were all talking and I heard one of the kids call out my sister in laws name. I didn't think any of it that's her name. I looked up when I heard their dad say that's Aunt Bev to you. Wow! It was amazing to see that not only the tradition lives but enforced by parents. I was shocked even more when I was saying good night to all of them their mom told the kids to say good night to Aunt Lupe. Now I am family through marriage but I wasn't thinking that I was suppose to have a title but I was the children's elder so I got a title.
I don't know when or how I lost that habit but I loved seeing it being used once again. Now well I start calling everyone by their proper title from now on? No, but I have been encouraged to be more respectful of those around me. That's what southern manners are.
No comments:
Post a Comment