Sunday, July 17, 2011

The storming of the Bastille

This morning as I was putting on my make-up I had to cover up a bruise on my forehead. How does one get a bruise on their forehead? It's not from a fall or an accident. My bruise was caused by pure Tastykake awesomeness. 
Saturday I got up and instead of running around doing errands and cleaning my house I decided to do something purely Philly. I headed to the Eastern State Penitentiary for the reenactment of the storming of the Bastille. 
The block that the prison is in was crowded with people of all kinds. Most of them were already inebriated from the free champagne being given out and the beer that they had purchased. 
There were a few people dressed up in costume but surprisingly not as many as one would think. The few that were did an amazing job. There were some French pirates and one of them had a sign that I'm sorry for touching your booty. Then there were two girls walking around with two heads, they were dressed in peasant clothes. There were a few Marie Antoinette's walking around. After the costume contest they began preparing the crowd for the 'storming'.
They had us sing a few well known French songs followed by the National Anthem and ending with the French National Anthem. Then at the top of the jail's wall Marie Antoinette appeared and so began the festivities. They followed a script and each time someone said 'reign of terror' the crowd would shoot their water guns. Marie Antoinette of course had an army. An army of IMPERIAL STORM TROOPERS!. As the script went on Marie Antoinette said "let them eat Tastykake" note the change from what the real Marie Antoinette supposedly said. As she said this it began raining Tastykakes from the sky. I decided to take pictures and I was so engrossed in that, that I didn't see two of them coming directly at me. Bam I now have a bruise that I didn't realize till last night as I washed my face at night. 
At the end of the little reenactment they beheaded a watermelon and a good time was had by all. This is a must do event if you are in Philly in the summer.

No comments:

Followers

A Lazy Afternoon....
Journalist Profile

Evone a.k.a velvet-sky
28th May 1989
Gemini
Singapore
underline bold italics


Archives

→ <$BlogArchiveName$>

Links

Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank, Blank.

Tag Me

Tag board code here. :)
Approx size of 190px

Layout Information

Designed & Illustration By: velvet-sky
Textures: sanami276
Brushes: 77words


<$BlogItemTitle$>
<$BlogDateHeaderDate$>, <$BlogItemDateTime$>

<$BlogItemBody$>