I went for my 3 month check up with my endocrinologist. This was an important visit because it's the check up after she changed me to Glumetza.
This is how a visit usually goes:
1. Arrive check in with receptionist
2. Go back with nurse
3. Get weighed and told I've lost more weight
4. Get finger pricked to have blood sugar tested.
5. Dr. Lit comes and does questions to see if I might have full blown diabetes.
6. She checks/blood pressure/if ankles are swollen/ throat check to check thyroid
7. Dr. Lit leaves and nurse does blood work which I might confess is the longest part because I throw a fit ea. time the needle is about to go in.
This is how the visit went this week
1. Running late so when I walked in receptionist just took me straight to the back where while I waited for Dr. Lit to come in I did my paper work there.
2. Nurse walked into room to take paper work and to ask for my co-pay.
3. Got weighed but it seems I have finally stopped losing weight. I believe that since I've started running I'm starting to create muscle so even though I fit in smaller clothes, I am weighing more. Muscle weighs more than fat.
4.I'm guessing that due to time crunch they forgot to check my blood sugar. I'm really not going to complain since that's one less needle going into me to get blood out.
5. Dr. Lit runs in seconds after the nurse, who's nave is Beverly, and begins her questions. She thought it was normal that my appetite has increased and thinks it's okay that I'm drinking so much as long as I'm not going to the bathroom every five minutes.
6. She checked my blood pressure which was pretty good even though I was running like a mad woman to get there on time. My feet looked good she said. She must have not seen all the blisters from the New York visit and all the running. Then she does her usual pressing on my throat and asking to swallow so she can check my throat. She wrote it all down and said good bye. Things are going as they should go
6b. So I"m waiting for Beverly to walk back in to do my blood work. Dr. Lit runs back in. I should mention this is how she works she runs everywhere to do everything she does. She tells me I don't know if I was imagining it so can I look at your neck again. She pokes at my neck and then looks at her notes. She says the brown mark is gone! She starts jumping up and down and she says while she's still jumping Do you know what that means? I smile at her and she says the medicine is working it is working! We'd been worried that it wasn't anymore but I guess she took this as a good sign. I guess she has been feeling the same way I have frustrated on how long this is taking.
7. Finally Beverly walks in and Dr Lit stops jumping and leaves. We start our little dance. Turn to face me she says. I tell her no until I feel like I'm a 5 year old and turn to face her. Then she tries to put the band on my left arm. I move it away from her she calls me by my name and I pout as I give her my arm. It takes 3 tries and lots of talking before I let her pinch my arm and a minute later we have a tube of blood. Dr. Lit well call me on Tuesday to tell me what it looks like. I'm hoping this time there has been some progress.

No comments:
Post a Comment